Thursday, August 11, 2011

30 Day Lolita Challenge: Day Two

Still working on that meme! The topic for today is:

Day 2: 10 things you love in lolita.

Oh, this should be easy. And photo-filled.

Yarrrrrgh ...
Thing Number One:
Pirate/Sailor Lolita.

Ever since I got into lolita, I've loved the more dramatic "styles" and themes that people have come up with. Like many lolitas, my style has developed and changed with time and my tastes have expanded as well. I still, however, love seeing a good sailor or pirate coordinate and love wearing either style, myself (though usually only for conventions, where the odd looks won't be so frequent).

I know that a lot of people get upset about lolita being turned into a "costume" with too many props or the like, but I still really enjoy some of the more theatrical themes that show up in the fashion. I don't think that I'll ever really get over that, either. It's simply too much fun!




Thing Number Two:
Alice & the Pirates.

I know that using brands for a "thing" each is probably cheating, but I don't care. I really don't. I love them that much. haha

At this point in time, the majority of my wardrobe is made up of various Alice & the Pirates pieces. I don't think that I'm what would qualify as a "brandwhore" in the classic definition, since I have quite a bit of handmade and off-brand items as well, but Alice & the Pirates definitely gets my salivary glands a'going. I love how with every print they do, they change the tailoring for the jumper skirts and often for the skirts as well.

The amount of variety in cuts that they provide from one series to the next is a huge reason why I love them so, so, so very much! It doesn't hurt that the motifs they choose are ones that are very near and dear to my heart. Nor does the fact that I've always harbored a less-than-secret fondness for pirate-themed lolita outfits.

My first ever dress. I still have it, still love it
and still wear it.
Thing Number Three:
Metamorphose temps de fille

Again, don't care that I'm using a brand for a "thing". Metamorphose has been my favorite since I first started getting into lolita, for much the same reasons that I love Alice & the Pirates. Like my fondness for pirate-themed outfits, I have a love of sailor lolita, and everybody knows Meta excels at creating sailor looks for spring and summer!

My first pieces were from Metamorphose. I bought a skirt and jacket second hand and my friend (who is now my boyfriend, go figure) bought me a sailor-themed jumperskirt (see the image attached) that was on sale as a birthday present.

Also like with Alice & the Pirates, I love that Meta uses different cuts and styles for each print series that they release. The novelty of a new dress, rather than just a new print, always attracts me to their site when it's time for a new reservation.



I like wigs. I also like making funny faces.
Thing Number Four:
Wigs.

My hair is a bit on the thin side and far from what most people would consider "manageable", particularly in thanks to Houston's frizz-inducing humidity. There probably aren't many people who were as happy as I was when wigs started to gain popularity in lolita as regularly used items for that very reason.

Over the last couple of years, I've been growing my real hair out, in the hopes that I'll be able to do some more elaborate styles like I did when I first got into lolita. I had chopped it off one year because I wanted to try something different. Now, I miss my long hair and want it back!

However, I won't be giving up the wigs once my hair's grown to terminal length and luxuriously wavey again--it's too much fun to be able to change your color, length and style in such a short period of time. If I could manage to wear wigs on a daily basis, you'd better believe I would!

I'm especially enamored of Gabalnara's wigs and have been really eager to try Gabalmania.



They look so delicate from high above like that, but I secretly have monster feet for my height.
... honestly.
Thing Number Five:
Shoes and socks.

Before I got into lolita, I loved shoes, socks and stockings. I am now obsessed with them. I've lost count of how many pairs I own and I'm always itching to get more for this outfit, that outfit and those dresses that I haven't yet purchased. I'm especially fond of using non-lolita shoes in lolita coordinates and lolita shoes in non-lolita outfits, and constantly raid various stores that I know carry cute socks.

I also have a long-standing (and perhaps funny) habit of photographing my feet when I'm out and about.  Especially on tiled floors. This isn't to say that I have a foot fetish or anything, not in the least. I just love putting pretty things on my feet, because I can admire them without needing a mirror (unlike most other garments).

Thing Number Six:
The online communities.

Because lolita's pretty niche, it can be hard to meet people who share your interests without a mediator. Websites like LiveJournal and Facebook are great tools for getting to know new lolitas.

I know that there are a lot of people who find sites like EGL or Daily Lolita to be intimidating, but I love browsing through the posts to get ideas, inspiration or just keep up on the news. I've met some great people through the various sites lolitas use to communicate and had a lot of fun with those people!

Thing Number Seven:
Lolita Valentines.

When Lolita Valentines came into being, as a reaction against the drama-filled Lolita Secrets, I was skeptical that it would last long. People inherently love their drama and aren't usually so quick to provide praise to strangers as they are criticism. The fact that the community has done well makes me really, ridiculously happy. I look forward to the posts every week and reading the messages people have left for one another.

In particular, I love the Valentine's Memes that have occasionally made the rounds on LJ (and even on /cgl/).

Those weeks where the posts hit 100+ Valentines make me smile more than usual, even if I don't receive one. It's nice to know that even in a community that's as notorious for its cattiness as lolita, members can have quite a bit of love for one another, too.

Thing Number Eight:
Bloomers.

This one's a little silly, but I've always been a bit self-conscious about wearing skirts and dresses. Bloomers have helped me conquer this fear of flashing little by little. Even though I rarely wear them any more, they've allowed me to train up my confidence to a point where I don't even think twice about it and can just go merrily along through my day, unbothered.

Thing Number Nine:
Taking photos.

This one should be ridiculously obvious, given the focus of this blog. One of the things I enjoy the most about lolita is the fact that it gives me endless opportunities to take photographs. There's always a shoot to do, an event to attend or outfits to document.

I only wish to improve, so that I can better represent the style I enjoy so much!

Thing Number Ten:
My lolita friends.

Saved this one for last, because it's the most important part of the style to me and I could write a whole post about it alone! I got to know some of my best friends originally through lolita. It could be that I just had the luck of the draw, but we all have very similar likes, dislikes, interests and temperaments and I feel incredibly fortunate to have found these wonderful people.

Some people say that they don't "need" lolita friends, because why would they want to be friends with someone over something so shallow? But I absolutely adore my lolita friends and wouldn't exchange them for anything. It's more than just the clothes that brought us together, too. If that was all we had in common, we would have drifted apart ages ago!

I also always look forward to meeting new lolitas, for that same reason. Making a new friend, even if it's just a "shallow fashion" that brought us together, is always worth the effort.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...